1. What is plot?
2. How many different types of plot are there?
3. Can a story be more than one type of plot?
1. Plot is more than just the sum of what happens, it is WHY it happens, the consequences of events. The thread of meaning that links all events together in a cohesive whole.
E.M. Forster said: 'The King died. The Queen died. Is not plot. The king died, the Queen died of grief, is plot.
2. There are 7 plots: Tragedy, Voyage and Return, Comedy, Good vs Evil, Rags to Riches, Quest, Rebirth.
3. Yes, a story can be more than one plot.
It's a good idea to have sub plots to add wider dimensions. King Lear is a tragedy, but you can also see elements of Rebirth and Quest - but probably not Comedy, although the Fool does have his moments...
Writer and creative writing course teacher, Benedict Brooks invites you to share in his story and progress to becoming a successful author.